Monday, August 8, 2011

San Giovani Rotondo, Italia

Another crazy day. If you're ever in need of a trip planner don't ask Tim, Maria, and I for any help unless you enjoy :
a) exhaustion
b) illness
c) frustration
Because we thrive on these three things (we learned that trick together at Klein Oak) it works out pretty well for us though.

Maria and I woke up at 6 AM this morning to be on an 8:20 train to Foggia after which we would catch a bus to San Giovani Rotondo, the location of the shrine of Padre Pio. To make a long story short, we travelled for about 11 hours today to stay in San Giovani for less than 2. As if that wasn't enough, Maria is still getting sicker (our trip to Assisi tomorrow may or may not happen at this point). She's a trooper though, and I know if you asked her, she would say that today was worth the fight.

When we arrived at the shrine, we knew we didn't have much time so we took a quick walk around to see where we wanted to spend our few precious moments. We saw the church where Pio said his masses, his confessional, the new church that has been built to better accommodate the pilgrims, the crypt where Pio is buried, and the crucifix before which he was praying when he received stigmata. It was all very cool, but I particularly liked the crypt. While there, I personally felt closest to Pio. Definitely turned out to be my best prayer of the trip.

Another thing that seemed to be unique about this shine was pictures. In his confessional, by statues, in his cell, and in several other spots pilgrims had left photos : presumably of people for which they wanted to ask Padre Pio to pray. While in the crypt, I remembered that I had brought a small family photograph to show to my host family on my study abroad. I decided that this would be a good place to leave it :)

When we got home from the shrine Maria was exhausted and headed straight to bed, which is exactly where I'm headed when I finish blogging for the night. It's my turn to sign off and I have a few more things if like to leave you with. Stay posted for one more post ;)

TheTresAmis

1 comment:

  1. Maria i hope you are feeling better todayAnd had a good nights rest before your flight home!!!! Thank you Daniel for taking such great care of Maria while she is not feeling well. I know that means everything to her and us.. Back to the real world kids! I am so excited to see y'all this evening! We will be at the airport with bells on!!! With Love, The Landry Family.

    ReplyDelete