Monday, August 8, 2011

Europe by the Numbers and an Attempt at Poetry (Daniel's Sign Off)

Days Away : 30
Times I Brushed My Teeth : 27
Hostel Reservations : 11
Hotels Booked : 4
Walking Tours Taken : 6
Day Trips Taken : 5
Countries Visited : 8
Rude Europeans Encountered : 12
Time Spent Lost : 3 hours 36 minutes
Churches Visited : 107
Protestant Churches Visited : 3
Laws Broken : 243
Times The Law I Broke Was J-Walking or Other Traffic Violation : 242
Souvenirs Bought : 26
Liters of Beer Consumed : 19
Clubs/Pubs/Bars Visited : 22
Days I Was Clean Shaven : 4
Tim and Maria Fights Endured : 17
Sick Days : 3
Missed Trains : 2
Games of Catan : 7
Games of Cards : 48
Loads of Laundry : 3
Loads of Laundry Where Nothing Went Wrong : 1
Bottles of Wine : 13
Skype Calls Home : 14
Items Lost/Stolen/Broken : 4
Important Items Lost/Stolen/Broken : 2
Train Rides : 29
Videos Made : 23
Videos Posted : 16
Blog Entries : 13
Languages in which I Can Speak at least 2 Words : 8
Statues Seen : 56,728

*Notes about Europe by the Numbers
1) These numbers are pretty much completely made up. But we'll call them rough estimates.
2) These are my numbers. Not Tim's or Maria's. For instance, to find Maria's bottles of wine consumed, divide by 736. To find Tim's liters of beer consumed, multiply by 736.
3) I started "counting" from the time I met up with TresTresAmis. My other travels and study abroad are not included.
4) I thunk that are all.

My Attempt at Poetry (don't judge me)--Into a Tuscan Sun

As we ride North into a Tuscan sun,
I think to our trip, both moving and fun.
I remember Madrid when we all met,
And the rain in France that made us so wet.
I reflect on Lourdes and the prayers we prayed,
And missing some trains, the prices we paid.
The camp at Auschwitz, the Krakow ghetto,
The puppets in Prague made by Jepetto.
The beaches in Normandy : sacrifice,
And the chocolate in Belgium : our new vice.
Beer in Munich is the best in the world,
But after the Hard Rock we almost hurled.
Nice was nice, much better than Toledo,
Speaking of day trips, we saw Saint Pio.
Thanks Mom, thanks Dad, thanks Maria and Tim,
I'll end now, as my Tuscan sun turns dim.

*Notes about Into a Tuscan Sun
1) Written on a train from Foggia to Rome.
2) Unedited.
3) Amsterdam is not included (sorry, Amsterdam).
4) Michael is not the only poet in my family.

Hope you've all enjoyed reading my entries here and watching my FB video blog. Be sure to stay tuned for Maria's sign off!
Until then, this is Daniel, signing off ;)

4 comments:

  1. Times Daniel said "I am perfect" 4321

    Michael is a much better poet.... just saying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Views on blog 2704
    Views from us 1000
    Views from the Landrys 1200
    Comments on blog 28
    Comments from the Landrys 27

    Most devoted follower goes to Miss Missy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol this is really funny! 2 more days till you are home it is going to be long days knowing Maria is not feeling well. Today must have been spectacular going to Saint Padre Pio's resting place. Wonderful way to begin bringing the journey to a close. Y'all are blessed to have this great experience and have enjoyed the blogs and communication. Maria We love you and hope you are feeling better after this goods night rest. A summer cold is miserable especially with hot temps outside. Important to stAy very hydrated or you will get tired very fast. You may need to pass on Assisi if you are sick and go to an English speaking clinic as there are many near you in Rome. As a reminder you have European health insurance. Please take care of yourself and see you on Wednesday. Let us know if we can help y'all in anyway. With love, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete